'Water Lover' oil on canvas 24 x 30

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

'Afternoon Sparkle'


I approached this painting from a completely different
angle. I am very fortunate that the views from my studio
are stunning to say the least. One afternoon this week I
was sitting having a coffee and enjoying the view from my
balcony and noticed the late afternoon light sparkling
on the bay almost three miles away. Not for the first time
I grabbed my binoculars and began studying the scene
and thought I need to paint this. Rather than set up my
whole kit I grabbed a small canvas loaded a brush with
my usual mix of thinner and oil paint for the preliminary
sketch and sat back down outside and began sketching
using the binoculars. Then back in the studio I began
to paint going back outside to look at the scene again
from time to time through the binoculars.
Not sure how many others have done this
but it was a first for me.
Oil on canvas 6 x 8.
Your thoughts and comments would be appreciated!
Jeffrey
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you would like to purchase this painting
please email me for information.
jjboronart@shaw.ca
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
**Click here to view my gallery of paintings!**

9 comments:

Melissa@Little Log House Chronicles said...

I love this painting. The colors are what grabbed me right off. Very interesting method, through the binoculars. It seem to have worked well.

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi again Jeffrey!.... What a little "sparkler" you have created here with this new method of "getting into" your subject!

All's fair in love and painting Jeffrey! It sure paid off for you here!

Sometimes our need for change channels whole new directions! Pollock is a quick example that comes easily to mind.

Good luck with it... and Good painting!
Warmest regards,
Bruce

Deborah Younglao, Silk Painter said...

lol I love the binoculars method! It was certainly worth the trouble since it resulted in this. The sparkly water really says "summer".

Melinda said...

You are very fortunate to see such a view, even with binoculars!

This is fabulous work. I love the brushstrokes and how the trees act as counterpoint to the horizontal water's edge.

Do this some more!

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Thanks Mellisa...

Jeffrey

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Hey Bruce...you are right, we have to try new things(to us) often. You never know what might happen!

Jeffrey

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Hey Deborah, thanks for that...I really hoped for a summery feel with this piece.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Thanks Prabha, I'm sure others have done this before but it sure helps close the distance to your subject.

Jeffrey

Jeffrey J. Boron said...

Hey thanks Melinda...will do!!

Jeffrey